When life gives you problems, make music

After putting it out of her head all day, 30 seconds before going on stage  the fear strikes. But once she hits that golden high note and the crowd screams, it’s all worth it.

Hannah Lieb, sophomore, plays three instruments and is a singer, songwriter.  Aside from past violin lessons, Lieb is self taught.

Ever since the summer before ninth grade, she’s written around 12-13 completed songs that she not only sings, but accompanies with music.

“It’s just an outlet.  I have a lot of stuff going on in my life, and it’s just a way to cope,” Lieb said. “Some people cry. I write music.”
It started the summer before freshman year, when Lieb taught herself “Love Song” by Sara Bareilles.  After playing around with different chords, she began writing music.

“All my sisters have been singing in plays since I can remember, but [Hannah] started to write lyrics and get more serious about it just within [this] year and a half,” Luke Lieb, junior, Hannah’s brother, said.

Lieb not only composes music and write lyrics, but she also has a passion for singing, which she revealed to many, when she performed her original song, “Neverland” in this year’s talent show and did a cover at this year’s Mr. KHS pageant.

“I was in the talent show last year and I did it in middle school a few times, but this year was the biggest audience I’ve ever had,” Lieb said.
She also has a BandPage on Facebook where some of her music can be viewed.

“[The stage] is one of the only places I really feel comfortable.” Lieb said, “At first I get really nervous, but once I get into it, everyone just goes away.”
Teaching herself most of what she knows with music might be what gives her the unique and original quality she’s recognized for by her peers.

I don’t know a whole lot of other professional artists that sing like her, but I think that’s why she stands out so much.” Rachel Trout, sophomore, said. “It’s really inspiring to hear, but it also evokes deep emotion.  Regardless if it’s happy or sad, it brings that out.”

Writing around a song per week, Lieb gets inspiration for her music from things that impact her life.  A few of her songs include, “I want to know you,” “Neverland,” and “Hypnotized.”

“It can be anything,” Lieb said.  “It can be a boy or a fight that I had with one of my family members.”

Her hard work might be paying off.

“She works really hard at it. I think she’s really amazing, very talented.  She’s got a long life ahead of her, and I think she’s going to do really well with it,” Luke said.

Lieb hopes to show she is not musically talented at one specific thing, but many, which students can see when she performs on the stage.

“It’s far past talent to do the things that she does without ever taking piano, without ever taking voice lessons,” Trout said.  “It’s just pure talent.  It’s not just skill.”