Climbing Chick-Fil-A Mountain

In the midst of Snowtorius B.I.G., the snow storm that had Kirkwood trapped under ice, Josh Waite, junior, lies in a tent at 3 a.m., trying to fall asleep as icicles slowly descend closer and closer to his face. Despite the two degree temperatures, Waite stays warm with four layers of clothing, multiple blankets and the body heat of his father and two friends.

Although Waite’s current conditions make it sound as if he waits for the break of dawn to continue climbing, the only mountains close to him are the frozen Dews in his supply bag. Instead, Waite waits for the grand opening of the new Chick-fil-A in Des Peres. His group and the other 96 chicken-crazy people waiting outside, some since 11 a.m. the previous afternoon, are there for the opportunity to claim a years’ worth of free Chick-fil-A. Much like those who brave Mt. Everest every year, people journey far and wide for the grand opening of a Chick-fil-A.

“People travel around the country, from store to store, just for a year’s worth of chicken,” Dave Bruce, the owner of the newly opened Chick-fil-A franchise, said.

For students, their daunting journey the next day was not to another Chick-fil-A but rather to school. Kollin Stewart, junior, talked the night away with the many interesting chicken nomads at the grand opening.

“I was really happy once I finally got my coupons, because I had to be at school in a couple of hours,” Stewart said. “I slept through the first half of the day, but it was definitely worth it.”

Despite battling extreme cold and sleep deprivation, Stewart and Waite found the ordeal very rewarding.

“They had us line up outside the store at about 5 a.m. and started handing out complimentary t-shirts,” Waite said. “Then they started sending us inside in large groups. All the employees stood around clapping for you when they gave you your box of coupons. It felt great.”

Stewart also felt he was treated great during his visit to Chick-fil-A.

“Throughout the night, (Chick-fil-A employees) would bring out urns of iced tea and hot chocolate, although the iced tea would freeze seconds after pouring and the hot chocolate disappeared instantly,” Stewart said, “but the gesture was nice. And the food is so good.”

Waite said his most rewarding experience has yet to come though: using the coupons themselves. He plans to use them like any true mountain climber would, rationing them out among the friends who endured the wait on the mountain with him.