Scholars make a few extra dollars: Emily Schwegmann, knife salesperson

Kelsey Landrum

Emily Schwegmann, senior, gets people to buy knives by doing in-house demonstrations.

“I love this job,” Schwegmann said. “It really is the best job ever. The hours are flexible, I get to meet people I wouldn’t meet otherwise, and it is really just fun to tell people I sell knives.”

As an independent sales consultant for Vector Marketing, Schwegmann is paid commission based on how many Cutco kitchen accessories she sells.

“I believe in the product,” Schwegmann said. “I legitimately believe these are the best knives you can get. We have the best guarantee, they are good quality and will last forever.”

Although she thinks her job is unique, Schwegmann said she does not frequently make it a topic of discussion.

“Sometimes it just comes up in conversation and it is really exciting because it is different from other high school jobs,” Schwegmann said.

Schwegmann said because of how different her job is, she often gets reactions of disbelief from people.

“Usually people laugh when they find out,” Schwegmann said. “They think I’m joking at first, but a lot of people think it’s cool.”

The employment program designed primarily for college students does not hire anybody under 17. Since most employees are students, Vector Marketing allows its workers the leniency to focus on school.

“[My job] never gets in the way of school,” Schwegmann said. “I could take my homework to a meeting and the managers wouldn’t care. They know how important school is.”

Schwegmann said the program not only focuses on profit but also the development of the character of its staff.

“In the office meetings, the main focus is more on life and improving yourself,” Schwegmann said. “It is meant to help you achieve what you want in life. In one meeting our division manager had us write down dreams because he said it makes them easier to achieve. I think he is right.”

Interested in a career at Vector? Here is more information:

http://www.workforstudents.com/home.do