Slys inherit a Kirkwood kitchen tradition

Kelsey Landrum

As the ninth owners of the famous Kirkwood landmark, Spencer’s Grill, Molly Sly and her family have taken on the role of owning and running the restaurant that has been around Kirkwood for 65 years.

“I’ve been a regular customer here for years,” Mary Sly, Molly’s mother and Spencer’s owner, said. “Every time I’d sit in the booths I would just think about how joyful of a place Spencer’s is.”

After taking three days in June, 2012 for renovations around the restaurant, Mary and close friend Lisa Kambell, co-owner, could not wait to get started. Molly, senior, and other KHS students and employees started to get the hang of the hectic work atmosphere of Spencer’s.

“Working there is really crazy,” Molly said. “I’ve been able to meet regulars that have been going there for years and people that just stop by. We couldn’t ask for nicer customers.”

Molly is the only one of her siblings currently working at the restaurant with her mom, but Mary enjoys every minute she gets to spend with her daughter. Buying the restaurant February, the family has grown to love the customers and their importance to Spencer’s.

“All the regulars know all the waitresses and cooks,” Mary said. “Rose, our cook, is making their orders before they are even put in the computer system.”

After being opened six months, four KHS students have become Spencer’s employees: Molly, Anna Bommarito, senior, Maggie McWay, senior, and Julia Bambini, sophomore.  Molly’s favorite part of her mom owning Spencer’s is working with her friends, Molly said. Coincidentally, Molly and her best friend, Bommarito, have the chance to work together and make the job more enjoyable.

“Whenever we work together, it’s just really fun,” Bommarito said. “We’ll just look at each other and start laughing, and we never stop.”

The Sly family was more than happy to have the opportunity to be a part of something so historic and special to the people of Kirkwood.

“We were really nervous at first about taking on such a tradition to Kirkwood,” Molly said. “But the family really does love every second of it.”

Spencer’s itself is a historic place to Kirkwood. According to Molly, the restaurant has been around for nearly 65 years and has grown very family oriented.

“We’ve had customers that have been coming here for 25 years,” Mary said. “And now, they bring their entire families to the restaurant just to show them something that has been a part of their lives for such a long time.”

For Mary, the opportunity to  buy Spencer’s with a great friend and share the experience with her kids has been great. There is not a day where she does not feel the love around the restaurant, she said.

“It’s great working there because it means free pancakes, but, also, my mom is such a great boss,” Sly said. “I know she is so happy with her decision on buying it, and we are all happy, too.”

Foster the kids
Sharing is caring in every season