Mission Compassion: Anything but Mission Impossible

Trevor Currie

Lounging in her suburban home with running water and a warm meal, all Melly Wolfe, freshman, could think about are her pen-pals, Anny, from the Dominican Republic and Misegana, from Ethiopia. Both live on dirt floors and do not know when their next meal will arrive.

The pen-pal correspondence was the first opportunity Wolfe had to help those less fortunate, but she wanted to do more. Wolfe had applied to many organizations before in an effort to help others, but was turned down because she did not meet volunteer age requirements. Determined to help, she formed Mission Compassion, a club which has now attracted over 28 members, to give those under the age of 16 an opportunity to make a difference. Mission Compassion meets every other Friday at 7:20 a.m. in Ambuehl’s room.

Mission Compassion is a non-exclusive club created to fundraise for third-world countries. The idea for Mission Compassion came to Wolfe through Compassion International, a Christian charity which allow children to escape poverty. Wolfe chose to fundraise through Compassion International because they are reputable and helpful to those in need, not because of the religious aspect.

“[Mission Compassion] is not exclusive [to only Christians],” Wolfe said. “It was the most honest, and it did the most for the kids.”

According to Wolfe, she has many qualities that make her capable of making a difference, and does not want her age to be an obstacle.

“It’s frustrating wanting to make an impact and not being able to,” Wolfe said. “I want to help them, because you see the little pictures of tiny [orphans], and all they are are bones.”

Karen Ambuehl, English teacher and MIssion Compassion sponsor, sees the club as a way for students to gain compassion and empathy for those who lack the privileges Kirkwood residents have.

“We are privileged in Kirkwood, because we have resources and schools that function well,” Ambuehl said. “We are fortunate and have a responsibility to help other people, too.”

Jeff Townsend, freshman principal, approved the club because he believes it will have a positive impact on students. Townsend emphasizes the importance of students giving their time and talent to help those in need.

“[Helping] is a hard thing to do, but that’s a great value to instill in all of our kids,” Townsend said. “There’s no better feeling than helping somebody. It’s one of the greatest feelings in the world when you help somebody and you see somebody who’s truly grateful.”

With many people in need of help, Wolfe knows she, and anyone else with a similar desire, can make an impact. Wolfe has learned there is no requirement when it comes to volunteering, because any amount of aid can make an impact.

“You don’t have to be at a certain point in your life to make a difference,” Wolfe said.