Ringing in the memories

Art courtesy to Nala Turner

After his father passed away in March, Eric Keller has never taken a moment or memory for granted. And as a junior, Keller wanted to bookmark his memories of KHS by purchasing a class ring.

“It was really hard for my family to afford,” Keller said. “After my father passed away, I just wanted something to mark every memory I’ve made and will make in the future.”

With the complications of not being able to afford the class ring, Keller’s close friend, Zach Zisser, junior, gathered a group of close friends to help raise money to buy the ring for Keller.

“It became more than just a high school ring to him and to us,” Zisser said. “I wanted to do something nice and have him know we were all there for him.”

With help from Zisser and friends, approval from Junior Class Principal Mike Wade and some expenses covered by Herff Jones Ring Designs, they were able to purchase the ring for Keller.

“It was so amazing, I thought I was going to cry when they told me,” Keller said. “It was easily the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.”

Even though Keller was enthusiastic he will be able to wear such a special token from his high school career, he was excited to show his class pride as well.

“I’ve always believed a class ring represented pride,” Keller said. “I think what’s really special about it, is that you show you’re proud from where you’ve come from and what you have accomplished.”

Zisser, could see how much getting this ring meant to Keller and how big of a milestone it could be for him.

“How could you not want to do that for someone?” Zisser said. “After everything he has been through and all he has left to go through, it was just no question for me.”

After having a rough few months getting back on his feet, Keller is excited to make more memories as the year goes on.

“No matter where you come from or what you have to overcome,” Keller said. “The smallest things will be able to hold the biggest memories as well. This one just happened to be a little more pricey.”

Mission Compassion: Anything but Mission Impossible
Overcome: Conor Killen