Couches removed for sake of school safety

Beginning this year, students will no longer be power-napping on cozy couches or snoozing on their favorite sofas at KHS.

In 2011, the furniture standards for the school were changed and the Kirkwood Fire Department labeled much of the school’s furniture as fire hazards during a recent building inspection. As a result, a new policy was enacted with the intention of making KHS a safer place.

According to Mike Wade, sophomore class principal, KHS undergoes a fire code inspection twice each year. Now, the only furniture permitted within the walls of KHS will be made with fire retardant upholstery. Because of these recent policy changes, many classrooms in the building were stripped of comfortable cushions during the fire inspection.

“Some teachers have couches from the 1970s,” Wade said. “So of course they all got bumped by the inspector.”

Sean McCarthy, English teacher, owned a 16-year-old couch that flunked the inspection.

“I’m not sure why couches need to be removed,” McCarthy said. “Kids seem to appreciate sitting in a comfortable chair for a few minutes. Most of us have couches at home and they pose little threat to our safety.”

Although evacuating each piece of condemned furniture required time and effort, Wade believes it was in the student’s best interest.

“Our responsibility is to create a safe learning environment,” Wade said. “Fire codes are not there to make our day harder, they are there to keep the kids safe.”

While students understand school safety comes before comfort, many are puzzled by the new policy.

“I don’t know how couches can catch on fire at KHS,” Adrian Morse, junior, said. “I can see where the fire department is coming from, but I don’t understand the reasons behind it. This whole thing is just silly.”

Zach Dillard, senior, shares in the confusion.

“It is a little ridiculous,” Dillard said. “I don’t see why [couches and chairs] are a fire hazard. Rules, when it comes to buildings, can be pretty nit picky, but rules are rules and you have to follow them.”

Despite the loss of many familiar classroom couches and chairs, Wade is prepared to welcome the new fire retardant furniture that will go into the library and guidance office. According to him, the school environment will be as comfortable as before.

“The teachers are so good and the kids are so smart,” Wade said. “They could learn in a sardine can.”