Colleges vary in checking social media

Malena Smith was told for years by counselors and parents colleges would look at her Facebook page before accepting her. But even as she applied to University of Missouri-Columbia, Webster University, Lindenwood and University of Missouri-St. Louis, she did not worry about colleges finding anything questionable on her Facebook profile.

“I’ve always posted pretty appropriate things,” Smith, senior, said. “I would have either way.”

But for the 86 percent (117/186) of students who have been told by counselors, speakers, teachers and parents colleges will get on Facebook or Twitter to peek at their pages, Chuck May, senior associative director of admissions at University of Missouri-Columbia, says something different. May manages student recruitment efforts for the university and said they do not use social networking to check on students.

“We don’t have the staff and resources to evaluate students [through social networking],” May said. “And even if we had the resources, I don’t think we would. It’s not a priority.”

According to usnews.com, however, a recent survey of admissions officers at 359 colleges revealed 24 percent reported using Facebook or other social media to research their applicants. In 2008, only 10 percent reported using social media.

Joe Laramie, retired lieutenant for the Glendale Police Department and former national presenter for the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, has seen colleges use social media as an evaluation tool.

Laramie said the more elite a school is, the more likely the school will use social media. He also suggested having high privacy settings on Facebook pages and Twitter accounts and only posting appropriate things.

“Colleges like to see people who have an opinion, who treat each other well, use respectful language and are appropriate. They key is treating people with respect,” Laramie said. “Why take the chance that one post or picture or comment will ruin it? That’s all it takes. One thing.”

Emily Berty, college counselor, agrees with Laramie about handling Facebook carefully.

“The biggest thing to keep in mind is that schools are looking for someone who is going to be a good addition to the community,” Berty said. “So whether it’s Facebook or Twitter, students should put out there how they would want anyone to perceive them.”

Berty said red flags in a student’s application might press a university to look at Facebook or Twitter for further information about a student. Red flags are things such as inappropriate email addresses or references to disciplinary problems involving alcohol or misbehavior.

Colleges have begun using Facebook and Twitter in other ways as well. Abby Peterson, college counselor, said colleges such as the University of Nebraska have their own social networking sites where they can keep tabs on students and connect them to each other and the campus before the school year begins. Admissions representatives will friend potential students on Facebook to communicate information about admissions, applications and upcoming dates. Universities are even beginning to offer majors in the designing and maintaining of social networking sites.

In the meantime, May, Laramie, Berty and Peterson all urge students to be careful and responsible users of social networking. Peterson believes in the potential of social networking someday becoming even more involved in the college application process.

“This use of social networking is uncharted territory. It’s new within the last few years, but it will only grow,” Peterson said.