German exchange students arrive Wednesday

Photo Courtesy of the German GAPP program
Photo Courtesy of the German GAPP students

Two days from now KHS will have 22 new students come across seas from Hamburg, Germany for the final phase of the German American Partnership Program, or GAPP, that took place earlier this summer with the Americans traveling to Germany.

On May 29,  KHS students traveled abroad to Hamburg to experience life and school for a month of their summer, after being accepted into the GAPP program last October. The Germans these students spent half the summer with will soon stay with the KHS GAPPers for two weeks to study at KHS.

Starting Sept. 20, the new students will attend classes with their American GAPP partner; Sept. 21 the Germans will be given their own schedules and attend those classes until Oct. 8. Early the next day the Germans will be back on a plane to New York for a short layover then on to Hamburg.

Between Sept. 20 and Oct. 8, the exchange students will experience the American culture, such as football games, concerts and playing a variety of sports offered at KHS. The entire group will take a weekend trip to Memphis, TN Sept. 28 to tour the city and experience American culture outside of Kirkwood.

Although the exchange will be just two weeks, it will be an experience they will never forget.