Lavender or Stream will soon represent Kirkwood

Photo courtesy of Rick Stream. Stream discusses crime issues with a local police officer.

Students have until Oct. 10 to register and vote in the elections for state representative Nov. 6, according to Abby Peterson, college counselor.

Running are Deb Lavender and Rick Stream. If elected they would represent Warson Woods, Glendale, Oakland, parts of Sunset Hills and Webster Groves and roughly two-thirds of Kirkwood.

Stream, who has held the office of state representative for the past six years, had his first experience in politics when he was only 7. His mother took him up and down Dougherty Ferry to campaign for Dwight Eisenhower, and ever since he has been fascinated with politics. If Lavender is elected, this will be her first time in office, though she has tried for the position twice before.

Both Lavender and Stream have been campaigning for months now. To help students better understand who may be representing them at the state level, The Kirkwood Call has compiled a list of each candidate’s goals if they are elected.

Deb Lavender’s Platform (democratic)

• Provide more funding for preschool education

• Reduce the size of the Missouri House of Representatives, which will save millions of tax dollars according to Lavender

• Create more jobs

• Hold two meetings a year for people to come discuss their opinions and ideas to “make Missouri the best it can be”

Rick Stream’s Platform (republican)

• Cut spending, not raise taxes, to save Missouri money

• Ensure each public school in Missouri receives an equal amount of state funding, no matter the amount of money each school receives from the community. This means Kirkwood would receive an increase in state funding.

• Create more jobs in the private sector

For more information about Deb Lavender, visit her website:

http://www.lavenderforstaterep.com/

For more information about Rick Stream, visit his website:

http://rickstream.org/