Kicking cancer close to home

Kicking cancer close to home
courtesy of the Branch Family

Every year the girls’ varsity soccer team dedicates one of their games to raise money for kids with cancer called the Kick for Cancer Game. This year though the game struck close to home. On Friday, May 3, the Kick for Cancer game meant more to the team than in years past. Their very own friend and teammate was one of the people who could benefit from the money they raised.

Karley Branch, freshman, was an active goalie on the freshman soccer team when one morning she woke up with her legs tingling, unable to walk. She was rushed to the hospital, and an MRI found a tumor in her lower spine. She was sent to surgery the following day with no feeling in her legs, and the doctors were unsuccessful in removing the entire tumor. They took out as much as possible and sent out the sample for testing. Five days later the results came back. Karley was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma Cancer, a rare cancer usually found in teenage females.

Hearing the news of their freshman teammate, the girls’ soccer team and their coaches decided to donate half of the money the raise to helping Karley and her family with their medical bills. The other half went to a charity designed to help kids suffering with cancer.

Karley is currently still in the hospital, and doing extensive physical therapy in her legs to regain feeling. Because the tumor was so close to her spinal chord, it is unsure whether she will ever regain feeling completely or the ability to walk.

“We take it one day at a time,” Stacy Branch, Karley’s mother, said. “Karley is stronger and has more courage than I ever knew she had. She amazes me each and every day because she is so strong, and I am so proud to be her mom.”

Karley’s illness has not only affected her, but affects her whole family. Her parents have not left her in the hospital alone one time since she went in for surgery, and her older sister, Hanna Branch, senior, visits Karley everyday, occasionally sleeping in the hospital. Not only does Hanna visit everyday after school, but she also got ready for prom in the hospital room with her sister.

“I just wanted to be with her,” Hanna said. “I’ve always wanted to get ready for prom with my sister and nothing was going to stop that.”

According to the Branch family, Karley’s illness has brought people from all over to help. Friends, family, and even strangers have all come together to show their support. While flowers are not allowed in Children’s Hospital, Karley has received balloons, cards, candies, stuffed animals, foods, gift baskets and lots of donations from people who want to show they care.

Two of Karley’s friends, Sarah Huber, junior, and Lauren Huber, senior, created an online donation page for anyone who is willing to help the Branch family. Currently, the website has raised more than $700, with the goal of raising over $2500. According to the Branches, there are many ways people have helped them, and the Kick for Cancer Soccer Game really illustrates how much the Kirkwood community cares.

“We were not only surprised when we found out they were giving us money, we were honored,” Hanna said. “Our whole family was so grateful to see everyone caring about us so much.”

Interested in donating to the Branch family? click here