Gunn named Missouri Basketball Coach of the Year

KHS head boys basketball coach Bill Gunn receives the Missouri Coach of the Year award from Missouri Basketball Coach’s Association (MBCA) president Ryan Shaw.

KHS boys’ varsity basketball head coach Bill Gunn was named the National High School Basketball Coaches Association Missouri Coach of the Year April 29. He received the award at the Missouri Basketball Coaches Association Academic (MBCA) All-State banquet at Drury University in Springfield, MO. A committee of members of the MBCA selected Gunn for this honor. While it is a national award, each state’s committee chooses its own coach.

“I felt honored,” Gunn said. “I know this is something given to someone who works hard and gives back to the game, so I felt it was an honor to receive the award this year.”

Gunn has been a member of the MBCA for 14 years. During this time he has run their website as well as promoting basketball on his own website, MOsports.com. According to the MBCA, the main objective of the association is “Promoting Basketball in the state of Missouri.”

“The big thing is it’s good to be a part of an organization that ultimately we want to give back to basketball,” Gunn said. “To be honored for giving back to the game that I think has given a lot to me feels good.”

This past basketball season, Gunn earned his 200th win as a head coach. Before coming to KHS, Gunn worked as a head coach at Cuba, Hillsboro and Northwest. He also served as an assistant coach under MBCA Hall of Fame coach David Fox at Jefferson City High School.

Gunn said this honor is a reward for promoting basketball as a part of the committee over the years. Among the excitement of being chosen, he has not lost sight of the true purpose of this honor.
“In any group or organization there are people who roll up their sleeves and do the work,” Gunn said. “It’s about giving back, so I’m proud that I was able to give back. That’s what the award is about.”