Savoring the season

The season of fallen leaves and cozy campfires has arrived at last. While it’s finally time to enjoy the crisp autumn air in sweatshirts and leggings, nothing really says fall like the artificial flavoring of pumpkin spice. But if you’re like me, the variety of seasonal drinks and baked goods around town can be overwhelming. That’s why I took it upon myself to venture around town and try out the local fall menus, emptying my wallet in the process. If you need help getting into the autumn spirit, let this be your guide of the must-have seasonal treats, and the items to steer clear of.

Starbucks:

When I hear the words “pumpkin spice,” my mind immediately goes to Starbucks, and for good reason. Despite being extremely basic, the Pumpkin Spice Latte can do you no wrong. Even though the hot, comforting drink turns 20 this year, the combination of pumpkin and cinnamon flavors ensures this latte’s timelessness. For a colder option, there’s always have the Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino. A frozen coffee drink, topped with whipped cream and pumpkin-pie spice, is just what you need to get you through the end of the quarter. Along with your drink, try the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin, packed with fall spices and sweet cream-cheese filling. This warm, baked treat is everything I love about this season. New additions to the fall menu this year include the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte and Iced Apple Crisp Shaken Espresso. While the latte was excellent, I was unable to finish the espresso. The artificial apple flavor was overpowering and left a terrible aftertaste. Overall, Starbucks has proven time and time again that when it comes to pumpkin spice, they know what they’re doing. 4.5/5

Dunkin’ Donuts:

Dunkin’ may live in Starbucks’ shadow, but don’t let that deceive you. The Pumpkin Spice Signature Latte is signature for a reason. Although it can be served iced, it’s the perfect warm autumn drink for when the temperature drops. The Nutty Pumpkin Coffee, however, shouldn’t count as a fall drink as the pumpkin flavoring is virtually undetectable. And of course, you can’t go to Dunkin’ without ordering donuts. The Pumpkin Cake Donut and Pumpkin Munchkins are autumn staples, containing a blend of nutmeg and cinnamon, and the pumpkin flavor is spot-on. While there are delicious choices on the menu, the fall selection lacks variety, resulting in limited options. 4/5

Kaldi’s Coffee:

Whether it’s being a supporter of their smoothies or sandwiches, I’ve always been a Kaldi’s enthusiast. Keeping this in mind, I was a bit disappointed in their Baked Maple Pumpkin Latte, which to me, didn’t contain as much pumpkin flavor as I would’ve preferred. Despite this, Kaldi’s proved themselves once again with their Cinnamon Brûlée Latte, finished with a hand torch on top to caramelize the sugar, creating a unique coffee with the perfect balance of sweet and bitter. Another creative seasonal take is their Churro Waffle. Only available on the weekends, the crispy waffle coated in cinnamon-sugar is a great excuse for getting dessert for breakfast. You should definitely add to your order if you’re in the mood for a sugar high first thing Sunday morning. As a result of their thought-out, original items, Kaldi’s fall menu is one you have to try. 4/5

Great Harvest Bread Company:

Oh Great Harvest, you’ve never let me down. With their freshly baked creations and comforting atmosphere, they can make anyone’s day. A Kirkwood staple, the Cinnamon Chip & Cinnamon Swirl sweet bread is luckily available year-round. Now, their seasonal Apple Crumb Muffins and Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding reminds me why fall is my favorite time of the year. The apple tastes remarkably fresh and creates a velvety texture that leaves me with no complaints. Of course, I can’t talk about Great Harvest must-haves without mentioning the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Bread Loaves. The melty chocolate after warming the muffin should be reason enough to put Great Harvest on the top of your autumn taste-test list. 5/5

Teleo Coffee: As much as I’m a fan of their bagels, the seasonal menu is a no from me. Their autumn drinks include the Frothy Pumpkin and Butter Pecan Cortado, but it’s hard to detect the pumpkin or butter pecan flavoring. This makes them painfully average. However, their baked goods, like the Cinnamon Apple Danish, are satisfactory and a quick way to get you into the fall spirit. However, with their overpriced coffee and mediocre autumn specialty drinks, Teleo’s fall menu is a skip for me. 2.5/5