The bandana effect

I am a 17-year-old white girl from Glendale, Missouri.  I love to go on runs with my dog, go shopping with my mom and I am a little bit of a history nerd.  For Halloween, my friends and I are dressing up as members of One Direction.  Am I sheltered?  Not at all.  But the word “gang” rarely goes across my radar.  If I saw someone at school who just so happened to be in a “gang”, it would not even cross my mind.  This may be why I was baffled by my friend’s frustration after being warned with the possibility of in-school suspension for wearing a tied up, red paisley bandana to school and being forced to take it off.  This annoys me because this Rosie the Riveter trend is such a classic.  It’s a way of wearing a “headband” without being as sporty as wearing one from Lululemon.  Some people just are not sporty headband type.  This becomes a problem, especially when late nights of working, doing homework and/or playing sports turn into the inability to wash one’s hair before the next school day.  Just a bad hair day in general creates a problem we should not even have to deal with.

Unfortunately, we must be respectful, in school at least.  If the “gang” problem even applies to one person in this school, it should apply to all of us, just like any other rule.  But just like Rosie, WE CAN (still) DO IT!  Just not in the same way.  Stores like Forever 21 and Nordstrom BP offer floral bandana look-alikes that can be tied into one’s hair.  A year ago, I bought a blue scarf with nautical anchors on it in at an estate sale.  I paid a whole fifty cents for this beautiful square of silk.  Even little things like small silk scarves can be used to make the bandana effect.  We can do it.  Sort of.

The bandana effect

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

In the comment box below, tell us why you answered yes or no on the “Bandana Effect.”

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500