Mizzou week 6: leaping versus Vandy

Photo courtesy of Shane Keyser
    Photo courtesy of Shane Keyser

Week 6: Bad Plays=Bad Calls

This blog is based off my opinion on the game and what occured during it.

This past Saturday I went to Mizzou’s week six game versus Vanderbilt at Faurot Field in Columbia, Missouri. The atmosphere inside the stadium was electrifying. I was really happy to be at the game until both James Franklin and Marcus Murphy left early in the first quarter with injuries. Then everything changed.

On each of the Tigers first two drives Andrew Baggett kicked field goals putting the Tigers up by six. This was when the game changed for Mizzou. After their second drive, Murphy left the field and never returned because of a dislocated finger on his right hand. As a result, Mizzou lost its best kick and punt returner. Then, less than a minute later, quarterback Franklin left the field and did not return because he suffered a left knee injury after his 23-yard rush. The team now had to depend on TJ Moe, backup returner and Corbin Berkstresser, backup quarterback, to lead the offense.

Once this happened, Mizzou lost all control of the game. Mizzou gave Vandy two points on a safety on their next drive. Then on the Commodores punt, Mizzou was called for leaping in which gave the Commodores an automatic first down. This inflamed the fans, and everyone began to ask the same question. What in the world is leaping? Leaping is at it is said to be when a defensive player uses a teammate, usually their back, to propel themselves up to block a kick. It allowed Vandy to score and take a 9-6 lead over Mizzou going into halftime.

Berkstresser went on to show fans why he does not start as he completed nine of 30 passes. Kendial Lawrence had 20 rushing attempts. Mizzou showed a little life at the end when Bud Sasser caught a pass from Berkstresser and took it 85 yards for a touchdown making the score 16-15 Vandy with 12 minutes left. The Tigers did stop the Commodores on their next drive and got the ball back with a chance to win the game with five minutes left. Berkstresser’s freshmen quarterback side showed when he turned the ball over on downs giving Vandy time to kick a field goal and win the game 19-15 handing Mizzou another loss in the SEC making them 3-3 on the season.

The game was just constant mistakes and poor play by Berkstresser and the offense. I believe if Franklin and Murphy were not injured, Mizzou would have gotten their first-ever SEC win. I’m happy I experienced a true Mizzou football game, even though they did not win. Until next week’s game at home versus number one Alabama. MIZ-ZOU.

Mizzou Sports

Game Highlights