No fear when it comes to cheer

He stepped onto a gymnastics mat for the first time at age 5. At that moment, he had no idea that one day he would belong to a cheerleading team which would travel the country and compete for the world champion title.

Brendan Bailey, sophomore, began a life of flipping, cartwheeling and tumbling as a gymnast. Four years later, while he lived in Florida he became a member of a competitive cheerleading team, the Orlando Allstars.

When his family moved to St. Louis in 2005, Bailey joined the cheer team Cheer Legendz at age 11 and gradually made his way to level five, the top rank for Cheer Legendz, during the 2011-2012 season.

Bailey started cheerleading because his older sister was a member of a cheerleading team.

“My mom and sister thought it would be cute if I [joined] a little kid team, and from there I started doing it and am still doing it,” Bailey said.

Last season he has participated in 10 com- petitions and will compete in 10 or 11 this season. Bailey said his team learns a new routine every season. These consist of dancing, stunting, jumping and tumbling. Bailey’s favorite part is tumbling.

“It’s my time to shine, I guess you could say,” Bailey said.

Bailey’s coach, Anthony Best, said Bailey earned his spot on the Pumaz because of his tumbling skills and dedication. Best added that no spots on the team are given, only earned.

Being part of a cheerleading team as a male comes at a price for Bailey because he suffers from bullying. He has learned to overcome taunts by staying positive.

“[I’ve] been called gay because, I don’t know, people tend to think of it as a girls’ sport, but [I] brush it off,” Bailey said. “If it’s really bad I would inform the teachers and principals, but for the most part I never really did get made fun of because I would just flip at school and stuff. People would think that’s cool.”

Salli-Ann Holloway, sophomore and friend, confirms Bailey encounters ridicule.

“I think he just lets people accept it, and if they don’t, he doesn’t waste his time on it,” Holloway said.

Bailey said the Pumaz have a good bond. While with his team, Bailey tries to stay positive and considerate toward fellow team mates.

“I’m always there to help people if they’re having an off day, and I talk to them about what went on that day,” Bailey said. “I’m just very caring and do my best to make sure ev- eryone is doing well and is at practice.”

Bailey said his favorite memory while on Pumaz was going to the world championship in Orlando, Florida last April. This is the largest competition in the world held at Disneyworld.

Bailey said the competition was intense, and only the top 10 made it to the finals. His team was 0.8 points away from being in the top 10, falling in at eleventh place.

Bailey said cheerleading is a major part of his life and a good way for him to express himself and release anger.

“He embraces cheer because it is a good part of his life, he enjoys it when he’s there and when he’s performing,” Holloway said. “He had no idea that it would be something good and solid that is always there.”

Breaking the breakfast club stereotype

Sports Center

Welcome to Cheer Legendz