Mizzou football: last second defeat

Photo Courtesy of Shane Keyser
    Shane Keyser
    Photo Courtesy of Shane Keyser

Week 11: Bad loss
    This past Saturday, Nov. 17, the Missouri Tigers played their last home game of the season against the Syracuse Orange. If Mizzou won, they would be heading to a bowl game, but with a loss their hopes would rely on a victory next week versus Texas A&M.

Unfortunately, the Tigers (record) lost 31-27 in the last 20 seconds.

Missouri scored twice in the first quarter on two touchdown passes by James Franklin, one going to Dorial Green-Beckham and the other to Jimmie Hunt. It looked like a good game with Mizzou leading 14-3.

In the second quarter,Franklin and the offense did not produce a touchdown. Andrew Baggett, however, hit a field goal late in the second quarter, but was answered back by an Orange touchdown making the game 17-10 in favor of the Tigers.

At halftime I was pleased, yet dissatisfied with the Tigers. It was great to see Franklin show his potential with those two touchdown passes, but yet that slowed down the running game. Kendial Lawrence did not produce his normal first half touchdown which gives Mizzou the running edge. On the other hand, Green-Beckham was having another great game with a 70-yard touchdown.

The third quarter was good play by each defense with neither team producing a single point. With Mizzou not scoring a point, I felt uncomfortable with Syracuse (record) possibly making a late comeback on the Tigers. My feeling was right.

The fourth quarter we saw the weakness of the Tigers defense shine: covering the pass game. In less than one minute, the Tigers allowed a 13-yard touchdown pass by Syracuse tying the score.

Finally, Lawrence made an impact with a 3-yard touchdown run giving Mizzou a 24-17 lead over the Orange with 7:07 left. But, the Tigers defense fell apart by allowing the Orange to finish the game on a 14-3 run with the Orange scoring the game winning touchdown with 20 seconds left.

I was very displeased with how Mizzou lost the game they had controlled all day then finally gave away at the worst time. With a bowl game one win away, Mizzou has to win next week’s game against No. 9 Texas A&M. Until next week’s away and  possible last game  of the inaugural season, MIZ-ZOU.