And none for you, Erin Kilfoy

Oh,how I love Thanksgiving. Stuffing our faces with sweet potatoes and turkey (or Tofurky for my vegetarians out there) is a delicious way to spend a holiday.  And just when falling asleep on our full bellies sounds amazing, some people think it is a good idea to rush to their favorite stores for some early holiday deals.  I was immediately jealous of my friends who were at the mall at one in the morning, and I decided to make a plan of action for the next morning.

I arrived at the mall in the late morning only to wait for what felt like forever for a parking spot to magically appear.  There were a few things I had my eye on at Forever 21, Anthropologie and JCrew.  Much to my disappointment, though, all of the so-called “deals” were not worth the amount of time I spent listening to angry drivers’ car horns.  At so many stores, I was confronted with baskets full of knick-knacks and left-over junk from late Spring.  No, Bath and Body Works, I do not want a travel-size peppermint foot cream.  Nothing had appeared to be too different from the weekend before when I was there, except for a few mediocre bargains and much longer lines to the dressing rooms and cash registers.  Something similar went for Cyber Monday.  I thought, hey, maybe the internet will treat me a little better this time.  Again, nothing I really wanted or needed was on sale.

And I find myself in a debacle.  Am I weird for feeling peeved about all of this?  The more I think about it, it is not these sale days that make me irritated.  This is definitely my disgust for a certain lifestyle.  My advice is this exactly; do not buy things just because they are on sale.  Buy clothes, shoes, makeup, jewelry, whatever, when you know that you will really need it.  If one is so conscious about saving money, I doubt he or she spends money on a bunch of items they do not really need that were once overpriced and now a little less expensive.

For trendier pieces that are bound to go out of style more quickly, there are plenty of cheap-chic stores that offer great options for affordable prices.  For classics like an essential pair of dark-wash jeans and a nice button-down shirt (or a beautiful pair of white-gold hoops), that is where someone should put in a little more time, money and consideration.  I would rather shop with less people around and make good decisions than buy a bunch of things that I would immediately want to take back the moment I got home.  While I say this, my father got lucky with two pairs of shoes he had been looking at for a few months.  I don’t hate Black Friday and Cyber Monday because they are ridiculous.  They are ridiculous because they hate me (and my shopping philosophy).