An even earlier school day

An even earlier school day
    Bridget Randazzo

Waking up to her alarm at 6:50 a.m., Jessica Hemann, senior, pulls herself out of bed and gets ready for school. However, starting this year she may have to get up even earlier.

The KHS administrators have decided to change the time of contact period from 2:40-2:50 p.m. to 7:35-7:45 a.m.

According to Dr. Michael Havener, principal, they changed it from, “…after school to before school for [they] mainly found from looking at data multiple incidents happened during contact and while buses were leaving. Students were standing around, and some not. High incident rates [occurred] during that period.”

“This will definitely be harder [if I] need to go in and get stuff,” Hemann said. “Hopefully it won’t affect me too much.”

Havener describes how he thinks this new time will affect the students, “For the most part, all students are on campus by 7:30 a.m. and [this is] a chance to see their teacher before class. They can get help before doing their homework.”

Havener said that many kids involved in after school activities would skip contact to go to these activities. With the new Contact time students can get their academic questions answered and still make it on time to sports or clubs.

However, a question arises for those who use contact: what time they have to go to bed to wake up even earlier in order to get a good night sleep.

According to the National Sleep Foundation most teens need about 9 ½ hours of sleep each night to function best.

The consequences of not enough sleep can limit students’ ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems.

When asked how Hemann will be able to manage getting up earlier she answered that it will mostly affect her on the days she has to go in and talk to teachers. Hemann is also taking AP classes this year, and with her early morning meetings she comments, “[If I] need to go in that day that could affect [my sleeping].”

The new Contact time will not change after school buses. Havener confirmed there will be a bus at 4:15 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. for those in after school activities.

Overall, Havener hopes that this will have a positive effect on the school for it is another opportunity for students and teachers to work together in the learning process.

The beauty of the bells

How to survive the activity overload

He Said/She Said: How long does it take to get ready in the morning?