Black goes solo in song and on stage

Black goes solo in song and on stage

Mary Beth Black, junior, was recently cast as Audrey in the musical Little Shop of Horrors at St. Louis University High, taking the only female spot in the entire production. All the other female characters were replaced with male actors, making this position as the only female role and leading lady highly competitive.
“I was hoping Mary Beth would get the part, but because they were only casting for Audrey, it was hard to know what would happen,” Barbara Black, Mary Beth’s mother, said. “I was so excited for her.”
All female actresses auditioning for the part of Audrey read the same scenes and sang the same music. This constant made it crucial for Mary Beth to stand out throughout the whole audition process.
“Mary Beth has this powerhouse voice that no one can compete with,” Sammi Kuehnlein, senior and actress who worked with Mary Beth in previous shows, said.
Being the only female in the show completely changed the dynamic of theater for Mary Beth. Without her usual female companions, she said she is able to be more focused on her part.
“This makes the process much more serious and makes me concentrate more on my role because there aren’t many distractions,” Mary Beth said.
Mary Beth said there is a surprising amount of pressure being the only female in the room, however. Not only is she expected to thrive as Audrey, but she is also expected to help males portraying female roles how to improve their roles. Regardless of the pressure, Mary Beth is excited about her part.
“I was so happy that I had gotten the role because Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favorite shows,” Mary Beth said. “And I absolutely love Audrey.”
Barbara thinks Mary Beth got her talent come from her piano teaching grandmother and her Broadway musical director/orchestrator uncle because Black has been involved with theater since before third grade and singing since she was a baby.
“When she was a baby, she would make these high-pitched sounds with her voice instead of the normal cooing,” Barbara said. “She has always loved to perform, and I love seeing her so happy on stage.”
Regardless Black is known for her skills as an individual making this role exciting for her fans.
“It’s a great character role, and I think she’ll be amazing in the part,” Kuehnlein said. “Not to mention the solo song that she will nail without a doubt.”

For related stories click below:

Sammi takes the stage

South Pacific Spring Musical