Going gamer for the night

courtesy of MCT Campus

As the winter season approaches, students look for a way to have fun indoors. Sure there are parties and movie nights, but sometimes students just want a relaxing way to spend time with their friends on a weeknight or weekend. One way people can do this is through card or board games. Playing board games with the family, beating a sibling, and enjoying the game were the best parts of my childhood. Now, this is a fun way to spend time with friends while staying warm as it gets colder outside. Pizza, soda, and brownies are a great addition to the perfect game night. A game night may seem childish, but having one with friends can be a new take on an old tradition.

Here is a list of the best board or card games to play during a game night:

Monopoly: This game challenges one’s patience. It is not exactly short and takes what seems like a lifetime to play. Personally I do not have the patience, so when I start, I never finish. If you and your friends have time and patience, it is a classic. Plus, there are tons of different versions .

Boggle: This one is for the word wizards. If you love writing essays, or your vocabulary reminds people of the dictionary, then this game is for you. You also have to have good observation skills because you are racing against the clock with everyone else.

Clue: This game is for the mystery junkies. If you like CSI or detective books, here’s the game to go with it. You get to be your very own detective and must determine who the murderer is, what room the victim was killed in, and with what weapon. Asking your opponents the right questions will give you the answer.

I Doubt It: Otherwise known as BS, this game makes it acceptable to lie (as long as you don’t get caught). The objective is to get rid of all of your cards by tricking your friends into thinking you are being honest. This is the one time it is appropriate, or at least acceptable, to lie.
How to play I Doubt It

Candyland: To start, it is a game about candy. Nothing gets better than that. Candyland is a childhood favorite, and if you have never played it, you are missing out.

Scrabble
: This is another game for word lovers. This is a fun game for everyone, but the bigger your words are the more impressive. It is hard to compare the feeling of getting a triple word bonus when you use a letter like ‘x’ or ‘z’.

Apples to Apples: This is a great game for anyone creative. The outcome all depends on your opponents and how funny you want to be. It’s a game with little rules, so you can make up your own.

Uno: This is another classic card game. Some friends will get really into it and scream “UNO” as loud as they possible can. Others will be silent and sneaky until suddenly they have already won.

Yahtzee: If you don’t like the sound of dice hitting a table, this is not the game for you. This game is based mostly on luck, but is still tons of fun. Earning points by rolling dice, the anticipation of what number the dice will land on is excruciating.

Spoons
: This game is quiet, yet fast paced and intense. Never have I had so much fun playing with a bunch of spoons. The more people, the more fun. This game makes you anxious, nervous, and worst of all crazy when you lose, but it is fun trying to be quicker than everyone else.
How to play Spoons